OUR COACHES & SUPPORT STAFF
The AK Grizzlies coaching and support staff is the lifeblood of the organization and has a demonstrated history of attracting high character and knowledgeable personnel to assist, train, and launch our athletes. The Grizzlies pride themselves on our proven coaching education certification process administered through USA Hockey and its affiliates that allow our coaches to be among some of the brightest young minds in the game. This year's group of coaches consist of former players from Tier 1, Junior, and Division 1 hockey programs. We know that in order to be the best, you must be trained by the best - that means off the ice too. Our support staff including team managers, treasurers and off ice training specialists are carefully selected based on knowledge and expertise. We do all this in order to ensure your athlete has the best chance of growing in the game of hockey and beyond this year.
HOW DO I JOIN THE COACHING STAFF?
If you would like to be one of the few who have the chance to pour into the lives and development of the next great wave of hockey athletes and are ready to say yes, we’d love to make the ask. Please contact the association registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Being a coach can be a rewarding and fruitful experience for you and your young athlete. Having the chance to positively effect the mental, physical, and emotional development can bear fruit long after the athlete has completed their youth hockey experience. If you would like to be one of the few who have the chance to pour into the lives and development of the next great wave of hockey athletes, we'd love to have you.
For Season Play, Destination Tournaments, and/or Summer Season & Camps - new and returning coaches must complete the following in order:
- USA Hockey Registration (Must be renewed every year for the upcoming season). Select to register with USA Hockey.
- USA Hockey SafeSport Training (Certification required every two years). Select to register for SafeSport training.
- USA Hockey National Background Screening (Screening is good for two years; must reapply if expiration date is this year) . Select to complete USA Hockey Background Screening.
- Send proof of completion of requirements to Club Registrar. Select to send documentation to Grizzlies Registrar.
- Complete the Grizzlies Online Coaching Application (Have the aforementioned requirements available to enter during the online application process). Select to begin the Coaching Application.
In addition, coaches are required to obtain the needed CEP level certification and complete the online age-specific modules by Dec. 31st of the current season. All coaches that need a Level 1 CEP, or are up for renewal this season, will need to use the link to the right to sign up for a clinic. Coaches can continue to coach as long as they register to complete a CEP course before the date outlined above.
USA Hockey's website allows users to search the list of scheduled coaching clinics in order to locate a clinic near them. The online age-specific modules can only be completed after attending the coaching clinic.
- USA Hockey CEP Requirements. Select to view CEP Requirements.
- USA Hockey Coaching Clinics (Levels 1-3 clinics are typically held in the fall, Level 4 is available in the summer every other year, Level 5 is TBD each year and is usually not in St. Louis). Select to search for a CEP Clinic.
- USA Hockey Online Age-Specific Modules (Must be completed before participating with your team or being placed on a roster for the current season). Select to visit the online Age-Specific Modules.
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
- Coaching Education Program Online Age-Specific module Requirements (Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching (Cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level) http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/892966-age-specific-modules
- USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey (Cost is $40 plus any affiliate fees if applicable).
- Complete the background screening (required every two years)) A coach (cannot be added to a roster until
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training (required every two years) and (cannot be added to a roster until completed).
- Coaches Concussion Training (Concussion Training is good for 2 years)
- Effective for 2019-20 Hockey Season prior to any team activity participation. https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/training/index.html
- Requires Coaches to certify through certification form that they have had training for concussions each year.
- See attached forms for details regarding certification, medical clearance to play after concussion, etc. These will be on the EHA Coach Tab.
- Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. (Cost is $45 plus any lunch fees if applicable) You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. (The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from September 1 to December 31). http://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics
All Grizzlies coaches have the resources and support of some of the brightest hockey minds in Fairbanks, AK through our coaching development program. Whether you're an ex NHL'er or Division 1 letterman - All the way to a parent wanting to spend more time with their athlete helping - the Grizzlies organization takes pride in developing coaches for all desired results. Current coaches can see where they stand with certification requirements when they register or check in with USA Hockey annually as they move through the certification process. Your record shows both modules completed and Safesport verification. Safesport needs to be renewed every 2 years. All coaches must adhere to the Coaching Education Program guidelines. The standard requires you to attend one clinic every year for Levels 1-3. In order to help with the certification process, we've listed the following FAQ's for coaching requirements.
WHAT LEVEL CERTIFICATION DO I NEED TO COACH THIS YEAR?
USA Hockey no longer requires a specific certification level based on the age level of play coaching. A coach must progress through the education system every year and have completed the online age-specific module for each age level coaching.
HOW MANY CLINICS CAN I REGISTER FOR IN A CLINIC SEASON?
USA Hockey allows coaches to attend only ONE clinic per season. A coach must also complete the online age-specific module for each age level he/she is coaching that year. A coach can complete more than one online age-specific module in a season if he/she is coaching multiple age levels.
MY LEVEL 1 IS EXPIRED or EXPIRING THIS DECEMBER, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
You must attend a Level 2 clinic AND complete the online age-specific module for each age level you are coaching if not previously taken prior to December 31 of the current playing season.
MY LEVEL 2 IS EXPIRED or EXPIRING THIS DECEMBER, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
You must attend a Level 3 clinic AND complete the online age-specific module for each age level you are coaching if not previously taken prior to December 31 of the current playing season.
MY LEVEL 3 IS EXPIRED or EXPIRING THIS DECEMBER, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
You must complete the online Level 3 recertification or attend a Level 4 clinic AND complete the online age-specific module for each age level you are coaching if not previously taken prior to December 31 of the current playing season. Coaches of Tier I and Tier II (National Tournament Bound) 14U, 16U, and 18/19U teams must complete Level 4.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I DO THE ONLINE LEVEL 3 RECERTIFICATION?
You may complete Track 1 and Track 2 of the online recertification program. The program should automatically recognize if you have previously registered for one of the tracks and will direct you to Track 2. If you have already taken the recertification twice, you must attend a Level 4 clinic and complete the online age-specific module for each age level you are coaching if not previously taken.
I WAS TOLD MY LEVEL 4 & 5 CERTIFICATION WAS VALID FOR LIFE, WHY DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE AGE-SPECIFIC MODULE(S)?
I DID NOT COMPLETE THE ONLINE AGE-SPECIFIC MODULE PRIOR TO DECEMBER 31, WHAT HAPPENS NOW? I WAS NOT ABLE TO ATTEND A CLINIC PRIOR TO DECEMBER 31, WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
All coaches must be certified and have completed the online age-specific modules prior to December 31st in order to continue coaching the remainder of the season. The Coaching Education Program offers a Request for Temporary Card for the certification clinic if a coach is unable to attend a clinic. This must be requested in accordance with district policies. Please check your district website for information specific to your area. If your district does not grant temporary cards after December 31 then you will be ineligible to coach the remainder of the current season.
DO ASSISTANT COACHES HAVE TO BE CERTIFIED AT THE SAME LEVEL AS THE HEAD COACH?
Yes. USA Hockey does not distinguish between an assistant and head coach in regards to required certification level. All coaches participating in ALL team functions (i.e. games, scrimmages, practices, try-outs, tournaments, off-ice training, etc.) must meet the same coaching certification level, based upon the level of play coaching.